ZENITH 245

8 tube chassis 2036









This page is preliminary and the links are not working yet. In time I will be adding content to the links. Thanks for reading!











Story of a 245


This Zenith 245 is made up of two separate purchases.
First off, I bought this "legless" 245 from a fellow named Randy in Noblesville, Indiana in April 2014. He had gotten it from an antique mall as seen in the photos.





Randy had posted about it in the antiqueradios.com forums. I contacted him and bought it.

A photo of it riding in the back of my car on Friday April 18, 2014. I have to say, it looks odd.



Then a photo of it just after I got it home.





This radios condition is apparent. Legs are gone, the top was broken and the finish was poor, flaking off and scratched. Also the two small knobs, one of which opens the Automatic door were missing.

My original idea was to remove the leg structure from my 244 and make the 245 complete.
I did do that and that is what is seen in the photos below.




However, my poor 244 sat legless. I didn't really want to do that... This is how it sat until recently.

An empty cabinet on Craigslist

Just recently, I spotted an ad on the Pittsburgh Craigslist for a radio cabinet for sale.
It was clearly a 245!



On Saturday July 16, 2016, I went to an Estes radio auction, then made arrangements to go see the cabinet which was owned by a lovely lady named Deb in Carnegie, PA. It is in excellent condition, just missing the chassis and speakers. The knobs turned out to be drawer pulls, but that is ok. I have the knobs. What is good is the two small door pulls are intact!

OK! Now my 244 can have its legs back! Yay! :D



The idea now is to transfer everything from the legless cabinet into the good one. I've started by ordering new rubber chassis washers and grill cloth.

I don't believe the cloth in the legless one is original.









Here are some photos of the chassis.











Here is a view of the hypoid gear dial drive assembly.
It is so designed to disengage by pushing the tuning knob to the right.
This allows the tuning capacitor to move freely so the cam/lever action of the station preset assembly can move it to the selected station.

You can see the 3, (yes three) Allen Bradley "Bradleyometers" used for volume, tone and sensitivity. I'm so glad they are intact!



Here is an example of the cloth I have selected for the speaker grill. It is ordered from Richmond Designs and will arrive soon.



Yes, it has been a while since I've updated this page. There has been progress made, I've just been slow to post it.

The cloth arrived, but I was having difficulty finding a good way to attach it and be sure it stays wrinkle free. I discovered there is a bit of space between the baffle board and the front grill, so i decided to attach the cloth to a plywood back board.

The piece of plywood I used is a 5 ply 1/4 inch thick piece found at Menards. It was found in the hobby section and is the type you would use as a motor mount in a model airplane.

I cut it to size and used a hole saw to perforate it.

I then used Super77 spray adhesive to attach the cloth to the board from the backside of the cloth.
Next, I needed to repair the wooden speaker baffle as it split into two/

A bit of wood glue and it is as good as new!

Now to assemble the rest of the radio.

Now it looks like a complete radio! Finally! :D

MORE TO COME!










Thank you for reading!

Home