The 1935 Sparton Triolian model 136

This page is about Sparton's Triolian series of radios

Thanks to the help of Rodney Boleyn KG7EPW, I now FINALLY have a 136 that is in good condition! :D

Here is a page out of a Farwell hardware catalog fearuring the model 136. Perhaps this was from the Farwell, Ozmun, Kirk and Co. Hardware of St. Paul Minnesota?

Another ad, this time from a French magazine or catalog called Guide des importateurs (Importers Guide) May 1935
It is odd that the model number is shown as 133. Perhaps this was a typo?

Click on image for larger size

I finally found a Sparton brochure with the 136 featured! It has not been easy to find promotional material showing the 136.
There is absolutely no mention of the model anywhere in Radio Retailing magazine. (well that I could find)

Well, wonders never cease! I have finally found a NICE 136 to add to my Triolian collection!

This one was in the Portland Oregon area, which I was contacted by the owner. He soon had it on Craigslist, which Rodney saw and relayed to me.

He quickly picked it up then packed and shipped it to me via Greyhound! I cannot express my gratitude for his efforts enough! It really means something to me!
Thank you Rodney!

I still have the one from Larry Dowell of Hurdle Mills, NC. I still thank Larry so much for letting his 136 go to be in my collection! But, it will be set aside for now. It may help me restore the one I just got.

The tag on the back of the cabinet shows it was sold by Meier & Frank Co. which was a major department store chain in Portland.
It has since been bought by Macy's

The chassis is in nice condition, but has a replacement power transformer or transformers (plural).
The sad thing is that the Viso-Glo VG-1 is missing. It will be difficult to replace, but I have some thoughts for a substitute.

The power transformer has been replaced with two transformers. The two combined provide enough current for the heaters, but I'm concerned about the B+ current capability.
I believe the large black transformer is the one available from Antique Electronic Supply many years ago. It was made by Tesla Elect. Co. St Louis, MO which I believe was Pete Yanczer. It only has a current rating of 70mA when a 5Z3 tube is used with a 3 amp draw. I believe it won't be enough for this 14 tube chassis.

I thought I would be able to use the power transformer in the other 136 chassis which came from Larry, but after doing calculations on current draw against the full power consumption of 185 watts, it is clear it too is not up to the task. The 2A5s will need 5 amps. The rest of the tubes come in at 8.5 amps and the HV which should be at least 800V CT would need 165 mA. So, I need to come up with a pretty beefy transformer.

In the meantime, I've worked on reproducing the original filter capacitors. Between the 28, 76 and 134, I have managed to find examples of all but one. Part number A-8123-1 4 uf @ 500V is not present in any of the radios I own. As the A-6611-A 5uf @ 400V cap is close in value and voltage, I assume it is in the same size package, so I reproduced it in that size.
The markings were easy to figure out and I found one with an Aerovox sticker attached, so it is nice to know who manufactured them for Sparton.

As I don't like electrolytics, all have been stuffed with mylar or poly caps. I got a bit creative with the A-8123-1 and stuffed it with eight 2.2uf @ 250V connected in series parallel to create 4.4uf @ 500VDC. I know its not really necessary, but I added two 5.1 Megohm resistors across each section to help equalize the voltage.

It all fit inside the box easily.

The 5uf @ 400V A-6611-A caps got a 4uf with a 1 uf in parallel. Both 400V ratings. It is odd that the 1uf is only slightly smaller than the 4uf, but as it all fits into the box, it is a great place to use them!

The 10UF @ 200V A-6316-1 got two 4.7uf @ 250V and a 0.68UF to round it out.

The 2uf @ 250V A-10609-1 got a 1.0uf and a 1.5uf which is 25% high, but should be fine. The measured value turned out to be 2.4uf anyway.

All are made of manilla folder cardstock cut to 8.5 X 11 and fed through a color laser printer. The 1/4" brass eyelets are from Hobby Lobby, the wire is cloth covered 20 AWG hook up wire from Antique Electronic Supply.

After dipping them into beeswax, they are now ready to be installed. Unfortunately they didn't come out as dark as I wished they would have. Oh well, good enough.
I do need to fabricate two brackets to hold them in the chassis.

There will be more to come as the project progresses.
Thank you for reading!